You may have heard I’ve got a book or two out on viewing public art with your kids. Public art is everywhere, and this is the season for getting out and viewing it. While I was out hunting for public art in Mesquite, Texas with The Eleven-Year-Old earlier this month, it occurred to me that it would be nice to to highlight public art projects happening right now in various parts of the country. With luck, I’ll highlight one in a town near you. With that, let’s take a quick trip to Alabama.
SPACES Sculpture Trail in Huntsville & Madison, Alabama
Title: At Home With Higher Thoughts
Artist: Charlie Brouwer
Location: Southside Square, Huntsville, Alabama 35801
Photo Source: SPACES HSV iOS App
Associated Public Art Project:
At Home With Higher Thoughts is part of the SPACES Sculpture Trail in Huntsville and Madison, Alabama.
Begun in 2010 by Arts Huntsville, Alabama A&M University, Huntsville Museum of Art, Lowe Mill ARTS & Entertainment Center, and UAH, SPACES is a large-scale public art installation that has grown to include 39 works from 22 artists living in 12 U.S. states as well as Toronto, Canada.
The sculptures are installed across Huntsville and Madison, and will remain in place through at least January 2019. Many, if not all, of the artworks in the SPACES Sculpture Trail, are for sale.
Want to see At Home With Higher Thoughts yourself?
There’s an app for that. ARTS Huntsville has developed a free iOS and Android app filled with information about the works on exhibit and the artists who made them. You can learn more about the app here.
Already seen SPACES but want to explore other public art in Huntsville?
The Purple Cup is hosting a free Secret Art Walk event this Friday, July 13, from 6:30 – 7:30 p.m. The walk kicks off from Green Bus Brewing at Eustis Ave SE 206 in downtown Huntsville. You find more information about the event via Facebook.
- SPACES Sculpture Trail (ARTSHuntsville)
- Purple Cup Secret Art Walk Event July 13, 2018 (Downtown Huntsville, Inc and ARTS Huntsville)
- Art Trails in Alabama Public Art (Alabama Arts Magazine)
- Download the iPhone or Android app to explore Huntsville’s SPACES public art installation (ARTSHuntsville)
- What’s That, Mom?: How to use public art to engage your children with the world around them… without being an artist yourself by Shala Howell (Did you know I had a book about public art? It’s full of tips for viewing public art with kids ages 3-10. This link takes you to Amazon, but it’s also available on IndieBound.)
- What’s That, Mom? (The Journal): Field Notes from your Encounters with Public Art out in the Wild by Shala Howell (A customized journal for viewing public art with kids. This link takes you to Amazon, but you can also find it on IndieBound.)