Hey, my book’s out!

We interrupt our move to California to let you know that the first installment in the Caterpickles Parenting Series is finally available.

What’s That, Mom? uses the proven case-study format to help parents get their children outside and asking questions that promote curiosity. Written for real-world parenting, this book is short and sweet, designed to be read and used as a field guide with tips that parents can put into action immediately.

Woo-hoo! It exists!

Even more exciting, What’s That, Mom?: How to use public art to engage your children with the world around them… without being an artist yourself is the number 1 new release in the Parent Participation in Education category. How amazing is that?

Seems like a great time to say thank you to everyone who helped make this book and its successful debut possible.

I can’t wait to hear what you think of it!

Related Links:

About Shala Howell

I spent two decades helping companies like Bell Labs, Juniper Networks, and a genetic testing company that was later acquired by CVS translate some of the world’s most complicated concepts into actionable, understandable English. Now I'm working on a much harder problem -- fostering children’s curiosity and engagement in the scientific, artistic, and linguistic world that surrounds them. The first book in my Caterpickles Parenting Series, What’s That, Mom?, focuses on how to use public art to nurture children’s curiosity in the world around them. My next book, Did Dinosaurs Have Belly Buttons?, is currently planned for release in 2018. In the meantime, you can find me blogging about life with a very curious Ten-Year-Old at Caterpickles.com, chatting about books and the writing life at BostonWriters.blog, and tweeting about books, writing, science, & things that make me smile at @shalahowell.
This entry was posted in Caterpickles Books, Out and About, public art and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Hey, my book’s out!

1. rayworth1973 says:

Congrats on the new book! My second novel, Lusitania Gold just came out August 20th. We now both have something to pitch! I wish you the best of luck with it!

• Shala Howell says:

Awesome! I think my daughter’s finally old enough to read your first novel, btw. Once we find it. Most of our books are still packed up. Sigh. Our new place doesn’t have a room dedicated entirely to bookshelves, so we have to go out and get some. Good luck with your promotions! I look forward to reading your book.

Liked by 1 person

• Shala Howell says:

I snagged Lusitania Gold for the Kindle. I noticed you have both print and ebook editions out. I haven’t done an ebook of What’s That, Mom, because it’s a picture heavy experience. But I’ve been debating it. Do you have any thoughts on the benefits of offering both ebook and print editions of a book with lots of photographs in it?

I expect the second book in the Caterpickles Parenting Series to be more ebook friendly — it’s about science, not art, so the illustrations, if there are any, can be designed from the start for viewing on a black and white ereader. So I’m also curious about what the conversion process was like for you. Is it relatively simple to convert a print book to an ebook? Any pitfalls to be aware of?

Liked by 1 person

2. rayworth1973 says:

Shala,

Unfortunately, first, my book was all print. Secondly, it was all handled by my publisher so I don’t have a clue how it was done. I’m traditionally published, not self-published so I don’t work that side of things. I wish I could tell you. My wife uses Nook and from what I’ve seen it’s in black and white, at least the version she has. I understand the more advanced units are color now and the same for Kindle, which is the more popular format. However, for e-books, the core source is usually Smashwords so all others (I believe) branch out from that. All e-book formats are derived from Smashwords to include Kindle and Nook and the generic e-book versions that are available at other sources. The thing is, I think each has their own standards so, especially with images, color OR black and white, it may play havoc with them. I wouldn’t even know where to start. That may be a factor in my next fantasy sequel to Meleena’s Adventures, book 2, which I’m am going to attempt to add a map this time. If so, that would certainly be a factor in the e-book versions across the platforms. I can ask my publisher her experiences with children’s books, of which she’s done several print versions and see if she’s ever done any e-book versions. I’ll have to get back to you on that. Oh, and thanks so much for purchasing Lusitania Gold! I hope you like it!

Fred

P.S. Of course, some self-published authors have skipped Smashwords and published directly (or exclusively) with just Kindle. I think they’re possibly missing a marketing opportunity by not using Smashwords but then again, what do I know about that? I have no experience self-publishing but from anecdotal evidence, it’s at least worth considering.

• Shala Howell says:

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. My Kindle is black and white too. The only color eReader I have access to is the kindle program on my ipad, and I don’t enjoy reading on the iPad. Something to research and sort out, I suppose. Regardless a book about art doesn’t seem the natural fit for an ereader that a fantasy novel would be. Good luck with your next fantasy novel.

We enjoy your books here, btw. I had kept your first one back from the 10-year-old on purpose, because I wanted to be sure her vocabulary was up to it. When I caught her reading The Hitchhikers’ Guide and laughing at the actually funny bits, I decided it was time to release the Rayworth.

Liked by 1 person

3. rayworth1973 says:

P.S. I hope you all enjoy my books as much as I enjoyed writing them!

4. rayworth1973 says:

Shala, that is so cool about my book!

I did some asking around and going e-book with an illustrated book, though possible certainly restricts your audience. Plus in a lot of the formats, you can’t expand the graphics. My wife reads a lot of fantasy on her Nook, for instance and a lot of the novels come with maps and they’re pretty useless. Though she can enlarge the text in the novel itself, she can’t enlarge the maps to see the detail. Go figure.

What are you thinking?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s