Our semi-weekly survey of the tidbits that cross The Seven-Year-Old’s desk.
In the news:
Did this man catch a giant catfish or the spawn of Cthulhu?
The Seven-Year-Old’s grandpa got her hooked on the TV show River Monsters, so naturally she was fascinated to read all about this giant 280-pound catfish on the Huffington Post. I just wish the not-safe-for-kids quality of the sidebar articles on Huffington Post didn’t mean I had to stand over her shoulder while she did it.
Baby woolly rhino discovered in Siberia is first ever found
Before I could pry her away from the quagmire of sensationalist reporting that is the Huffington Post’s science section, The Seven-Year-Old clicked on an article about the discovery of a remarkably well-preserved woolly rhino in Siberia.
Tired of hovering over her shoulder, I quickly diverted her to the National Geographic Kids site.
- Searching for Dragons by Patricia Wrede: “I found this on the ottoman, Mommyo, and I haven’t been able to put it down.”
- Tales of Bunjitsu Bunny by John Himmelman: The Seven-Year-Old is super excited because she is the very first person to ever check this book out from the library. Apparently, they just received it this week.
- The Marvel Encyclopedia: The Seven-Year-Old would like me to point out that she’s not reading this one cover-to-cover, just the interesting bits.
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid #4: Dog Days by Jeff Kinney: A reread. She’s been through these before.
- What The Seven-Year-Old is thinking about this week: Sea monsters, gooey birds, & the measles outbreak (Caterpickles)