Wordless Wednesday: My Sky Yesterday

Earth (the little dot) as viewed from Saturn. (Photo: NASA/JPL-Caltech/Space Science Institute)

While this image of the Earth from Saturn was making the rounds of the Internet yesterday, The Six-Year-Old and I were hanging out at our little beach, enjoying a mid-summer cool front and the whitecaps it created on Lake Michigan.

Our sky yesterday:

The sky over Lake Michigan, July 23, 2013. (Photo: Shala Howell)

The sky over Lake Michigan, July 23, 2013. (Photo: Shala Howell)

If you squint, you can just barely make out Saturn there behind the swirl of white clouds. No really. Imagination-fueled iPhone cameras are surprisingly powerful.

Happy Wednesday, everyone.

Related Links:

What’s Wordless Wednesday?

Recently I discovered Wordless Wednesdays through the blog, 5 Minutes for Mom. Basically, on Wednesdays all around the Internet, bloggers post their favorite photos, ideally without any words to accompany them, but often with 1-2 sentences of context. I’m not a photo-blogger. I’m more of a word girl, so I thought Wordless Wednesday would be fun.

About Shala Howell

I write about wildly curious kids, rabbits who hunt dragons, and 1880s Boston. When I’m not scratching my head over pesky characters who refuse to do things how I want them done or dreaming of my next book (which will of course be much easier to write than the current one), I blog about life with a very curious Ten-Year-Old at Caterpickles.com, muse about books and the writing life at BostonWriters.blog, or tweet about books, writing, science, & things that make me smile at @shalahowell.
This entry was posted in Nature, Science, Wordless Wednesday and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Wordless Wednesday: My Sky Yesterday

1. rayworth1973 says:

I see Saturn from this end every season when I go out with my telescope. IT is the tiny dot, though it looks a lot better than Earth does from there! I’ve seen the sky from Lake Michigan too. It reminds me of cold! Here in Las Vegas, luckily, I don’t have to worry about that too much.

• Shala Howell says:

Seems like in Vegas, you wouldn’t have to worry about cold at all. Perfect day here today, if you like your July 24th’s to be 75-79 degrees and breezy.

Ah. Enjoying the weather now bc I’ll be too bent over and troll-like in February to wander out.

• rayworth1973 says:

We’ve been having the low 100’s and 60% humidity so it’s a bit uncomfortable for us. Thunderstorms around the area. We usually have humidity at around 1-10%. There’s a T-shirt going around with a skeleton on it. The logo is “It’s a dry heat.” Very true!

• Shala Howell says:

Hah! That humidity makes a huge difference, doesn’t it? I lived in Dallas for many years and Houston for many more after, and although the temps were often similar, summers in Houston were much harder to endure, what with having to swim through all that wet air all the time.

Thanks for stopping by again.

2. Gimpy! says:

Very cool to see that high-phase image of Saturn and its rings (and our humble mote) here! I think I can speak for many of us on the Cassini project when I say that. Can’t say much about the weather in the vicinity of Lake Michigan, though …

• Shala Howell says:

Gimpy! JJ told me that you were working on Cassini these days. My six year old would be thrilled to meet you, as she is rapidly becoming a bit of a space fiend, and has more than a few questions that I’m frankly not qualified to answer.

How fun that you stopped by Caterpickles! Thank you!

What are you thinking?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s