Public art is everywhere, and in some parts of the country you can even still go out and enjoy it. (Sorry, snow-packed Northerners, the public art portion of this blog is headed south for the winter.) This week on Caterpickles, we’re treating ourselves to a quick peek at the street mural scene in St. Petersburg, Florida.
The Street Murals of St. Petersburg, Florida
Title: 365 Million Things To Do
Artist: Derek Donnelly
Location: The Morean Arts Center at 719 Central Avenue, St. Petersburg, FL 33701
Photo Source: Visit St. Pete Clearwater website
For the past four years, the St. Petersburg Arts Alliance has sponsored an annual street art festival. Held in October, the SHINE Mural Festival is an enormous, open-air, art exhibit held all over the city of St. Petersburg. Several new street art pieces are unveiled at the festival every year. The city uses the annual SHINE festival as a way to revitalize once neglected areas, spark conversations, and increase community involvement.
In between festivals, of course, visitors and locals in St. Pete’s are always encouraged to revisit past favorites, like Derek Donnelly’s 365 Million Things To Do mural on the east side of the Morean Arts Center.
Want to see the St. Petersburg murals for yourself?
If you happen to find yourself in St. Petersburg, you can download a map to the various murals from the 2018 SHINE festival here. Alternatively, you can find a list of street art all over St. Pete at the Visit St. Pete Clearwater website.
If you prefer a guided tour, the Florida CraftArt Gallery leads a four-block there-and-back walking tour of 30 murals in the Central Arts District every Saturday morning from 10-11:30 a.m.
Not planning a trip to St. Pete, but want to see the murals anyway? Take a virtual tour of the 2018 SHINE Mural Festival here. The virtual tour includes photographs, artist information, locations, and a bit of background information for each work.
However you see it, drop us a line here at Caterpickles. We’d love to hear what you think.
Happy public art hunting!
- SHINE Mural Festival website
- Map to 2018 murals (St. Pete Arts Alliance)
- Virtual tour of the street murals from the 2018 SHINE Mural Festival (Visit St. Pete Clearwater)
- What’s That, Mom?: How to use public art to engage your children with the world around them… without being an artist yourself by Shala Howell (Did you know I had a book about public art? It’s full of tips for viewing public art with kids ages 3-10. This link takes you to Amazon, but it’s also available on IndieBound.)
- What’s That, Mom? (The Journal): Field Notes from your Encounters with Public Art out in the Wild by Shala Howell (A customized journal for viewing public art with kids. This link takes you to Amazon, but you can also find it on IndieBound.)