Our mostly-weekly survey of the tidbits that cross The Eight-Year-Old’s desk. This week, The Eight-Year-Old takes a break from comic books and Mommyo is especially grateful for librarians.
A sampling of this week’s books:
- Al Capone Does My Shirts: A Tale from Alcatraz by Gennifer Choldenko
- Rama the Gypsy Cat by Betsy C. Byars
Regular readers will recall that last week, The Eight-Year-Old took a firm stand on the subject of No Chapter Books on Spring Break Week. Spring Break would be All Comic Books All the Time, Mommyo, and There’s Nothing You Can Do About It Except Read One With Me. Well, imagine my surprise when I caught The Eight-Year-Old on our Very Large Red Reading Couch with a copy of Al Capone Does My Shirts in her hands.
Apparently at some point during the last week of school before Spring Break, The Eight-Year-Old shared her Spring Break plans with her school librarian, and her librarian wasn’t having any of it. Thank goodness for school librarians.
Scoot over, The Eight-Year-Old, Canelo and I want to read the one about the gypsy cat.
A sampling of this week’s news:
- A scientist identified the oldest land fossil ever and realized it was eating something even older (Quartz)
- Million dollar discovery: Family finds rare Ty Cobb baseball cards in paper bag (Washington Post)
- Want to build a strong fortress? Set it on fire (National Geographic)