A sampling of this week’s books:
- Horrible Harry in Room 2B by Suzy Kline
- Horrible Harry at Halloween by Suzy Kline
- Horrible Harry and the Ant Invasion by Suzy Kline
Harry loves to do horrible things, and The Eight-Year-Old loves to read about him doing it. Every day this week, she brought home a different Horrible Harry book from the stash in her third grade classroom, and every day I heard her giggling her way through them all. Except for yesterday. Yesterday’s book was Horrible Harry and the Ant Invasion, and The Eight-Year-Old didn’t enjoy that one much at all.
The Eight-Year-Old’s review: “It was kind of creepy, Mommyo. Tell the folks at Caterpickles I think they should read all the Horrible Harry books except Ant Invasion.”
In the news:
One of my favorite things about having a longer walk to school this year is that it gives The Eight-Year-Old and I more time to talk about stuff. So much time, that we end up discussing news of the world at least twice a week. Here are some of the stories that caught our eye this week:
- In the name of science, here’s why you should spend more time cuddling cats (Huffington Post)
- A new dinosaur has been discovered and he’s hungry (Huffington Post)
- Customs officers in Thailand find tiger cub hidden in bag of cuddly toys (The Guardian)
Note to parents: Although two of our stories come from it this week, Huffington Post is not a site you want your kids browsing on their own.