Another in our ongoing series: What We Did This Summer.
Capron Park Zoo is a beautifully maintained mini-zoo (think park with creatures) in Attleboro, Massachusetts. Walking the entire zoo would take an adult somewhere between 30 and 45 minutes. If you are with a small child and you stop to feed the ducks, pet and feed the llamas, play in the sandbox, ride the kiddie rides at the snack bar, and take pictures at the various Creature Stands, your trip to the zoo might take as much as an hour and a half. (There’s no telling how long you’ll stay if your pint-sized companion invades the spray park. My daughter could play there all day.)
Still, you get the picture. This is pint-sized fun for pint-sized people at a reasonable price, making it a perfect pre- or post-preschool activity, pretty much all year round. (Assuming you can drag your preschooler past the playground just outside the zoo’s entrance, that is.)
- Several animals you may not see anywhere else in Massachusetts, most notably the white lion and sloth bear
- Duck pond with feeding station and some of the niftiest lemur homes I’ve ever seen
- Petting zoo
- Spray park
- Kiddie rides
- Snack bar
- Picnic area & playground just outside the zoo entrance
What to take with you
- Swimsuit, change of clothes, towel, if you or your preschooler plan to play in the spray park
- Quarters to buy duck and/or llama food, and to fund kiddie rides. All these things are quarters only.
- Your Zoo New England membership card, if you have such a thing, as you’ll get a discount at the door
- If you’re an Attleboro resident, bring proof of residency to get your discount.
So would we go again?
Absolutely. (And have.)
|Where||Capron Park Zoo
|What||A pint-sized zoo tucked away in the heart of Capron Park.
|Address||201 County Street
Attleboro, MA 02703
|Capron Park Zoo|
|Emails for staff members available here.
|Cost||$7.00 adults, $5.50 children 3-12, children under 3 free.
Discounts for military, seniors, Attleboro residents, and Zoo New England members
|Hours||Open year-round, weather permitting.
April – October: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
November – March 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s Day.