Our mostly-weekly survey of the tidbits that cross The Eight-Year-Old’s desk. This week, The Eight-Year-Old discovers to her horror that she missed the November release of the latest installment of one of her Top Ten Absolute Favorite Books/Series Of All Time.
A sampling of this week’s books:
- Unusual Chickens for the Exceptional Poultry Farmer (By Kelly Jones, Illustrated by Kathi Kath): Not the reference text to raising chickens that The Eight-Year-Old was hoping for, but she tells me it’s great fun to read, nonetheless.
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Old School (By Jeff Kinney): In case you somehow haven’t heard, there’s another one.
In the news:
National Geographic’s Photo of the Day Collection
This week, The Eight-Year-Old and I discovered National Geographic’s stunning photo of the day collection. It’s chock full of breath-taking images, like this one by Carsten Krüger.
San Diego polar bears have surprise snow day (video via The Guardian)
The weather outside was frightful for many of us over Christmas week, but the polar bears at San Diego Zoo managed to have a great time anyway.
A smart watch for the visually impaired (Smithsonian)
A new smartwatch, nicknamed Dot by its makers at the University of Washington, translates tweets, texts, and ebooks to Braille. Dots on the face of the watch rise and fall to create the characters. When it’s not translating text, the watch face defaults to telling the time.
- What’s The Seven-Year-Old reading this week? (Caterpickles)
- What’s The Eight-Year-Old reading this week? (Caterpickles)
- More Book Reviews on Caterpickles
- The Six-Year-Old turns the corner (Caterpickles)