Our mostly-weekly survey of the tidbits that cross The Eight-Year-Old’s desk. This week, The Eight-Year-Old explores a new topic at the hands of a trusted author, shares the book of the week with Mommyo, and revisits an old favorite.
A sampling of this week’s books:
The Unicorn Treasury by Bruce Coville
The Eight-Year-Old walked into the library looking for new books about dragons, but walked out with The Unicorn Treasury. How did it happen? Apparently, unlike her mother at the same age, The Eight-Year-Old is completely tuned in to the author’s name. She has loved other books by Bruce Coville in the past, so was willing to give this one a try, even if it was about the wrong mythological animal.
Socks by Beverly Cleary
Another great library find, Socks tells the story of a cat adapting to life after the arrival of a new baby. The Eight-Year-Old loved this so much, she insisted I read it too. She even held on to it for three extra days to give me a chance to read it.
Blockhead by Joseph D’Agnese
I continue to be amazed at the impact this book has had on The Eight-Year-Old. Every few months, she pulls it out again. I can always tell when she does because suddenly the kitchen table and The Eight-Year-Old’s desk in the office become littered with sketches of the Fibonacci sequence (complete with spirals). (Want to know more about this book? Read a more in-depth review here.)
In the news:
While The Eight-Year-Old and I have been distracted by the end of summer and the start of school, an insane number of news stories have been piling up on her desk.
- The abandoned cats of Rome (Life in Italy)
- Devoted dog stood guard over trapped best friend until help arrived (Cute Stuff)
- Here’s the most comprehensive tree of life created to date with 2.3 million species (The Blaze)
- Scientists discover up to 100 giant standing stones near Stonehenge (Time)
- Watch Alabama fishermen rescue kittens from Warrior River (AL.com)
- A King Cobra is on the loose in Florida (Time)
- What’s The Seven-Year-Old reading this week? (Caterpickles)
- What’s The Eight-Year-Old reading this week? (Caterpickles)
- More Book Reviews on Caterpickles